Crowns for baby teeth
Photo: Dental caries
Crowns for baby teeth in children are used to preserve and restore damaged teeth.
If the child has a tooth decay and there is a lesion of the pulp, the best way to protect and preserve the tooth until the moment of its physiological loss is fixation of the dental crown.
Studies conducted by dentists have shown that the life of glass ionomer cements and composites on milk teeth is short-lived and until the teeth change constant, such seals have to be replaced more than once.
It will be more effective to protect the affected tooth from destruction by a crown.
Crowns for baby teeth are:
- Temporary, which is used to protect the pulp on non-carious teeth (for example, in the presence of chips) or to strengthen non-removable orthodontic structures.
- Permanent crowns are used to protect the tooth from decay with caries.
- Allow to keep the milk teeth until the moment from the physiological replacement to permanent.
- Restore the functionality of damaged teeth.
- Prevent the violation of diction.
- Crown restoration stimulates the growth of the jaw bones, which is important in the process of forming the right bite and alignment of the dentition in the future.
- Restore the aesthetics of a smile.
Restoration of teeth with crowns is considered necessary:
Photo: Presence of cleavage and dental caries
- If the caries has broken the milk tooth more than half.
- In case of a violation related to the development of enamel.
- If a tooth injury has occurred (root fracture, crown cleavage).
- In the presence of actively developing caries.
- If the tooth pulp is removed.
- With complete destruction of the dental crown.
- If there is a cosmetic defect. Especially on the front teeth.
- With fluorosis destruction of teeth.
Features of prosthetics of infant teeth
To fix crowns in children, turning of the tooth is very rare.
Only if there is a need to reduce the height of the bite.
Absence of the preparation stage has a positive effect on the child’s psyche, in addition, as a result, the most durable part of the tooth remains – enamel.
Types of crowns
- Metal structures are the most common. They are made of nickel-chromium alloy or stainless steel. At present, an alloy of nickel with chromium is the best for the restoration of milk teeth.
- Strip crowns (strip-crowns). They are used for prosthetics of the frontal group of teeth.
Crowns made of metal
Photo: Steel crowns on the lower molar molars
Metal tooth structures for dairy teeth are not made for casting, as in adults.
There are special sets of crowns, which the dentist can pick up to the size and shape of the tooth.
Advantages of prosthetics with metal crowns of infant teeth is that the crown can be installed in one medical session, which ensures maximum comfort for the child.
Disadvantages of metal crowns
- The use of metal crowns is optimal for prosthetics of molars, but the restoration of their anterior teeth will be unaesthetic.
- Some children may have an allergic reaction to nickel, which is part of the structure.
- Strong destruction of the crown part of the molars.
- Restoration of teeth with defects.
- Protection and restoration of teeth from severe decay with caries.
- Restoration of teeth after fracture.
- Hypoplasia of molars.
Photo: Restoration of teeth with strip crowns
A wide distribution in children’s dental prosthetics received strip-crowns.
This method became possible with the advent of acrylic constructions and light-curing composites on the market.
This method is considered the most effective, fast and technologically simple.
After installing the crowns after six months will need to re-visit the dentist, to exclude the recurrence of caries development.
Strip crown is a celluloid cap. Produce designs in the form of a set of 16 sizes for each jaw.
- Defects of development of milk incisors.
- Affection of the enamel surface of the anterior milk tooth.
- Changing the color of the enamel of the front teeth.
- After an injury to the front milk teeth.
- Violation of amelogenesis.
How to install
Restoration is performed under anesthesia and takes no more than 20 minutes.
- Before installing the crown, the plaque and all tissues affected by caries are removed, after which the tooth is shortened by 0.5 mm.
- Strip crown, fill with composite and make fixation on the prepared tooth.
- Then, polymerization of the composite is carried out under the influence of light.
- After polymerization, the cap is removed from the tooth.
- The restored tooth crown is ground and polished.
- Then, re-polymerization is carried out on each side of the restoration for 40 seconds.
The main difficulty in child prosthetics is that children with destroyed front teeth are usually very young, at the age of 1 to 4 years, they are quickly tired by the procedure of treatment and restoration, which requires the jewelry work of a children’s dentist. Therefore, with a large volume of treatment, it is preferable to perform restoration of anterior milk teeth under anesthesia.
Our clinic has everything necessary for painless and successful child prosthetics: experienced doctors, necessary modern equipment, highly professional anesthesiologists.